Friday, October 2

Ode to Traveler's Diarrhea

I haven't eaten more than bread or yogurt since Sunday, and all the wonderful smells coming from La Senora Delia's kitchen are torturous.

If I can't enjoy the new and delicious food I have encountered here, at least I can share them with you until my stomach adapts to Peru.

First in my series will be one of my all-time favorite dishes, Aji de Gallina:


Aji de gallina 
4 lbs. chicken
1/2 cup of oil
1/2 lb. of chopped nuts
2 tsp ground garlic
6 chilis liquidized (the closest thing to aji in the U.S.)
4 slices of bread
1 large tin of evaporated milk
1 large onion , finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste
6 yellow potatoes ( normal potatoes are fine)
olives, hard boiled eggs
Boiled rice - enough for 8 servings

Boil the chicken in salted water. Remove from bone and break into bite size pieces. In a saucepan heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic and chili peppers, salt and pepper to taste. Fry until golden and add the bread which has been soaked in the chicken broth, having removed the crusts. Cook slowly for 10 minutes then add chopped nuts and chopped chicken. Two or three minutes before serving add the evaporated milk.

Decorate the dish with halved potatoes and eggs quartered lengthwise and olives. Serve with the boiled rice.

1 comment:

  1. Best thing you can do when you get diarhea over there is go and buy a pill called ciproflaxacina, that's what I always use when im over in peru, it works fast. They say 2 a day but you will be fine with 1 a day. It's cheap as well, unless they force you to buy the brand name stuff, but the difference is still negligible for us north americans. .50 centavos for 1 pill or something. What i do is buy like 10 and then take 2 for a couple days to help my body deal with the new bacteria, then stop taking them until I get symptoms of the big D again, then take another 2 for 2 days, etc, I just spend 3 weeks over there, including Arequipa just this February and that strategy worked well.

    ReplyDelete